Friday, April 04, 2008

my daddy's guitar

this is my daddy's guitar. I picked it up for the first time in nearly 3 years. i strummed not 3 chords when i got a phone call. a mr. john toewater was on the other end, a close friend of my father and someone i haven't seen in 12 years. a funny french-canadian that used to totally disassemble and then rebuild entire cars on our driveway every summer of my childhood. this man called me and said i'm in the neighborhood and want to see you. the next night he came over and we spoke of old times and reminisced about my parents. he said i looked like my father and that i had his stature and presence. he drove 2300 miles from toronto.

thanks dad for saying hi.

i will learn to play it.

5 comments:

Tasha said...

Crap, Mikey, now I'm crying all over the place. I sure love you. Bless your guitar playing endeavors and bless that man.

Ems said...

uhh, ditto. what a gem.

k8 said...

so sweet mikey. i love you.

Jeremy said...

I love it when sweet things like this happen- reminds us that those who have gone on are not really all that gone after all- and certainly are not and have not been forgotten. Thanks for sharing something so tender.

Jen and Joe said...

hearing his voice on the phone the other day made a flood of memories come to me... and i could'nt stop smiling..